100 treasures

Sunken Garden
Sunken Garden
Sunken Garden
The Sunken Garden was initially a sand quarry used for the construction of the Hackett Memorial buildings. It was cleverly transformed from a quarry to a secluded amphitheatre with gardens, ponds and terraced lawns. The new venue was first used for a theatrical production of Oedipus Rex in 1948.
Caption: Virginia Rowland
Photo: Eigil Nielsen, UWA Friends of the Grounds 2009 photographic competition