100 treasures

UWA Boatshed
UWA Boatshed
UWA Boatshed
Rowing was a very popular sport in the early twentieth century and a boatshed was planned for the University as early as 1914. In 1929 a single-storey weatherboard building was built for the rowing club. The lower level was for storing rowing sculls and the roof, with railing, was used as a viewing pier for regattas. During World War II, when Catalina seaplane operations were stationed in Matilda Bay, the US Navy occupied the building and a further storey was added with a flat roof. In 2002 the building was reconstructed by John Flower Architect group based upon the original Rodney Alsop design, which included a second storey. A verandah overlooking the river was added and the building is now used for social functions, meetings and classes.
Caption: Shobha Cameron
Photo: UWA Sport and Recreation Association