100 treasures

Moreton Bay fig
Moreton Bay fig
Moreton Bay fig
This magnificent tree (Ficus macrophylla) sits at the junction of paths leading pedestrians north, south, east and west across campus. Its position allows it to grow freely, away from building foundations, power lines and other man-made structures. The story has it that in 1932 garden labourer George Munns dug a big hole, threw in a dead cow and planted the tree; an original blood-and-bone story. Munns was appointed Curator of Grounds in 1955. He retired in 1972 and his contribution to UWA was acknowledged with the awarding of an honorary Master of Arts degree and a plaque in the Tropical Grove.

South of Winthrop Hall

Caption: Gaye McMath
Photo: Pier Leach