100 treasures

Whitfeld Memorial Seat
Whitfeld Memorial Seat
Whitfeld Memorial Seat
Hubert Edwin Whitfeld was the University's first Vice-Chancellor and the inaugural Professor of Mining and Engineering (1913–27). Whitfeld passed away unexpectedly in 1939 to the shock and sadness of the University and wider community. In 1940 the Senate moved that the Court of Honour in front of Winthrop Hall be renamed Whitfeld Court. After the war it was decided a memorial seat at the western end of the Reflection Pond, facing the memorial seat to Rodney Alsop, would be a fitting tribute. The seat was dedicated in 1949.
Caption: Robyn Taylor
Photo: Pier Leach